Packaging Equipment Manufacturer
Situation and Challenge
- A producer of high-end packaging equipment with a long-standing reputation for outstanding quality was experiencing several years of flat revenue. Market share was dropping and distributors were dissatisfied with service in recent years. The company and its private equity firm owners were unsure where capital should be invested to maximize profitable growth.
- The company asked Blue Ridge Partners to develop a growth strategy including a market sizing, analysis of internal practices, and evaluation of channel partner needs.
- Used our The Nine Voices of the Market® methodology and conducted secondary research to:
- Analyze channel partner relationships
- Assess distributor criteria for allocating share of spend and sales effort
- Diagnose issues negatively impacting distributor relationships
- Quantify market growth prospects
- Identify opportunities for collaborative marketing approaches
- Create strengths and weaknesses profiles of each distributor relationship
- Applied our 100 Behaviors of High Performing Revenue Engines™ as the basis for measuring the company’s revenue engine performance and target specific areas of weakness in the sales and marketing functions
- Improve distributor satisfaction through faster quote turnaround, greater transparency, and more effective marketing support and coordination
- Tier service levels and incentives for distributors captured a greater share of key relationships
- The new systematic process for identifying and acquiring new distributors strengthened geographic coverage
- Revised marketing materials and sales processes to deliver a quantifiable value-based selling proposition and avoid price-based competition
- Increased international customer base through greater sharing of customer references, case studies, and country-specific marketing support
- As the company’s CEO said, “Blue Ridge’s analysis of the market pin-pointed the various opportunities for growth and helped us understand how to grow our position in the market. The internal analysis provided actionable, detailed recommendations on how to make several core processes more systematic and effective”.
See More Case Studies: